- Academic News
- Charity and Community
- Pastoral Care & Wellbeing
- Personal Development
- Seaford Headmaster
Throughout the lockdown period, Seaford has held assemblies as part of our Connected Learning programme. This week Headmaster, John Green, spoke about Black Lives Matter.
He spoke about why people are protesting around the globe, the historical significance, and then emphasised why ‘Black Lives Matter’ is important as opposed to ‘All Lives Matter’:
"The slogan 'Black Lives Matter' does not mean other lives don’t […] It is calling attention to the fact that society clearly thinks black lives don’t matter” – Billie Eilish.
"Anyone who has kept any type of pulse on civil rights and the black human condition in the United States since the transatlantic slave trade would understand the need to emphasize the protection of black bodies.”
He then spoke about how to be an ally:
“Being an ally means recognizing oppression broadly and standing in solidarity with anyone who experiences oppression — whether or not the ally belongs to a targeted group.”
• Challenge inappropriate comments ‘banter’ amongst your friends/peers
• Report inappropriate comments/behavior online or in person to school
• Continue to educate yourselves and engage in active discussion – ask your teacher’s questions and do additional reading such as the ones throughout this powerpoint and beyond.
Students then had tutor time to discuss Black Lives Matter.
Here are the links for suggested further reading:
• American activist Tamika Mallory’s ‘speech of a generation’
• Black Lives Matter Protests Bring Teen Activists Into the Streets
• Why You Need to Stop Saying "All Lives Matter”
• Stormzy and Gary Neville on how privilege works in 21st Century Britain
• Guardian Long Read about the early days of Black Lives Matter by DeRay Mckesson, a US civil rights activist and supporter of Black Lives Matter movement
Find out more: ‘Janaya Future Khan’s Guide To Understanding White Privilege’
Find out more: ‘Yes, The UK Does Have A Race Problem. And It's Just As Troubling As America’s’
Find out more: A TedX interview with Alicia Garza, Patrisse Cullors and Opel Tometi, the founders of Black Lives Matter: https://www.ted.com/talks/alicia_garza_patrisse_cullors_and_opal_tometi_an_interview_with_the_founders_of_black_lives_matter
Find out more: ‘Civil Rights Movement’
- Black Lives Matter