Day 5 – Australia and New Zealand Rugby and Netball Tour Blog

photo 3

Day 5

We had an early start this morning, meeting with our bags packed at 7:00am and headed for an all you can eat breakfast to prepare for the first set of matches. We hit the road at around 9:00am towards Timaru. The girls and the senior rugby boys in one bus, as their matches were being played at Roncalli school, with the the year 10 and 11 boys’ match being played at Temuka Rugby Club. The journey took a couple of hours and we were grateful of the warm welcome that we received by the Roncalli staff and students.

The girls were up first and underwent a good warm up in the sports hall. We looked a little apprehensive during the first quarter and errors were made in attack. They seemed a bit quiet on court. They settled more during the 2nd and 3rd quarters and reduced the error rates considerably. So many interceptions were made throughout the match, but our transition into attack was much slower than Roncalli’s, and there were many occasions where we were chasing play a little. Some promising and stylish netball shone through at times, but the score line finished 11-32 in favour of Roncalli.

The junior rugby side provided an excellent example of how to attack space, and finish their opportunities. A strong Roncalli side were put to the sword with 2 tries to Ralph Robson & Jake Parker, as well as Ben Twyford. The outstanding Caelan Stanton was abrasive in the loose. Well played!

A great all round performance from the U18 team, lots of players contributed to some great team tries and team defence was secure throughout. A terrific way to start the tour from all, with Charlie Norton setting the tone with a very accomplished performance.

We enjoyed some fantastic hospitality at Roncalli. Students gave speeches from both schools, the sports captains from Roncalli and Izzy Anderson and Elliott Quinton for Seaford, as the captains of netball and rugby. Staff also gave heart felt speeches thanking the pupils, staff and spectators for all that had gone into the day.

We had to depart before we knew it and say goodbye once again to many of our beloved visitors over the past few years. The journey down to Dunedin was long, but some good old fashioned singing certainly helped. Many students and staff took to the mic to entertain their fellow tourists.

We arrived at Burns Lodge by around 8:30pm, for another dinner before yet another early night. The students, along with staff, are again very tired.

Tomorrow is a rest day for all, which will allow time to hopefully visit the Cadburys Chocolate Factory and the Highlanders Rugby Stadium.

Days 1 & 2

Day 3

Day 4

Comments are closed.