The College was founded in the seaside town of Seaford in 1884. In 1941, when the threat of invasion was high, the school was evacuated to Worthing. In 1946, rather than return to the coast, the Johnson family bought the current estate near Petworth and Charles Johnson became the Head of the, then, proprietorial school. He created a fully boarding school for boys that, at its height, had about 450 pupils and before he retired in 1990 he oversaw the school’s conversion to a Charitable Trust.
Numbers dropped during the recession of the early 1990s. The Board decided to admit day pupils and in 1996 the school went fully co-educational. The period between 1997 and 2015 has seen almost continual growth and development. The school now has over 700 pupils, including a popular Prep School section, and one in three pupils is a girl.
Seaford College is owned by a Charitable Trust and Governed by a Board of Trustees. It is a non-selective school for boys and girls from the age of 7 through to 18.