Day Three – Four games

This morning began with a Zumba class! At 6.55am the music was thumping, ready for us. Connor & Aiden led part of the class joining Brenda on the stage for 40 minutes of workout. Breakfast was followed by an hour’s Study time and then we boarded the buses for the stadium and a heavy session of coaching and matches.

The hockey squads had circuit training and the keepers were pelted with high velocity balls, courtesy of the Gibraltar Cricket Association bowling machine and Mr Barnes. All this took place under Azure Skies in 21 degree heat. The Netball Squad met up again with the Gibraltar Netball Coaches for a coaching session before returning to support the U17 Hockey Team.

The game of the tour so far was Seaford U17 against a local club (Eagles) of mixed ages. Seaford started well and it wasn’t long before Bowden opened the scoring with a reverse stick shot from the top of the circle. Seaford continued to pressure the local side with some excellent tackling from Dimond and Gray. A superb aerial from Bowden set de Candole free to score Seaford’s second goal. The half finished with Seaford 4-0 up with excellent saves from D Jones having kept the Eagles at bay. Seaford continued to attack, despite being tired, and managed to score two further goals to end the game 6-0 to the good against a strong local side.

Seaford’s third game of the tour was against the U21 National Squad they had lost to the day before but 24 hours of Coach Paxton’s method training was about to be tested! Out for revenge, Seaford started very well working the press with devastating effect, creating many early chances. On 23 minutes some excellent work from Haythornthwaite and Pelzner saw the ball crossed for Bowden to score Seaford’s first goal. With the defence looking strong from Captain Callaway, Reilly and Nelmes, some excellent individual skill saw Whitehouse slot the ball past the keeper at the tightest of angles; 2 – 0 Seaford !. A well worked corner ended with Pelzner finishing in to the top corner; 3-0 Seaford at half time. In the second half we made a number of changes with Collins scoring a stunning fourth goal. The game finished 4-0.

The girls were fortunate enough to receive some more quality coaching from the Gibraltan International coaches, which developed their skills in a range of areas. They worked hard at a fitness circuit and earned a well deserved lunch out in the sunshine.

They took to the court for the first of two, back to back matches. In the first, they worked as a team and showed determination through the whole match, competing for every ball. The Gibraltan team ‘Storm’  were playing very fast netball and shot with the utmost precision. ‘Storm’ ended the game 21-14 winners, but in a very well contested game the whole squad should be congratulated on their effort.

The second game saw the stiffest test so far with a cream of the Gibraltar Netball fraternity represented by their U17 Squad. The Match finished 15 – 3 to Gibraltar. The girls’ fatigue was starting to show as mistakes began to creep into our game. None the less, the girls continued to play with enthusiasm and did not give up until the final whistle was blown.

Comments are closed.